Every day, we make decisions which help to protect our homes and properties.
We insure our vehicles, take out homeowners insurance, and make sure we sign up for the warranties on our items to ensure they are safe and covered for longer.
A home protection plan allows you to protect the essentials in your home in case of malfunction or breakdown.
TotalProtect can help you out by providing a plan which is designed to cover the expense of replacing or repairing your appliances if they go wrong—a fact which is inevitable over time following the general wear and tear of everyday life.
A home warranty means you are fully prepared for whatever life throws at you, and saves you from spending massive amounts on replacing your appliances.
About Home Warranties
A home warranty acts in a similar way to taking out an insurance policy on your home or vehicle.
Most homeowners have home insurance—a requirement for many mortgages—but this is limited to scenarios such as theft or damage to your property from fire or other disasters.
Any mechanical aspects of your home, from garage doors to dryers, will not be included, meaning you will be left with the headache of sourcing a repair person and facing a hefty bill if anything goes wrong.
What Home Warranties Cover
A home warranty, on the other hand, is designed to cover these appliances, as well as heating and cooling systems, plumbing, electrical, and more.
You pay a monthly sum and are fully covered for any repairs, replacements or breakdowns which occur during the life of the product.
In return for this regular payment, the company will provide technicians who can repair, replace or, in rare circumstances, offer a cash substitute for any items which have malfunctioned.
How Claims Are Processed
In the event of a claim, you can contact the customer services team by phone or email, and this resource is available 24/7, even during national and public holidays.
Upon receiving this call, the handler will be able to schedule a technician to visit your home and assess the situation, as well as carry out any repairs or replacements which are needed.
With over 40,000 pre-screened technicians, this is a fast and easy way to deal with the problem quickly.
What TotalProtect Has to Offer
TotalProtect is among our top picks for home warranties.
A plan from TotalProtect is ideal for busy homeowners who do not want to be calling a technician every time something breaks down.
This takes up precious time and often proves more expensive. Instead, a single call to your provider will take care of everything for you.
One key bonus is the ability to pick and choose your plans—we will discuss these in more detail later—and this allows you to adapt your policy to your lifestyle and needs, ensuring that you are not paying for anything unnecessary.
You can select the items, systems, and appliances which you require cover for, and tailor your plan to suit you.
TotalProtect offers three plans.
This plan covers all appliances in your home, with a particular emphasis on kitchen and laundry appliances. Items covered include:
- Stoves, ranges, and ovens, including wall ovens
- Range exhaust hood
- Washers and dryers
- Built-in ice and water dispensers
- Built-in microwave
- Integrated trash compactor
- Built-in dishwasher
- Garbage disposal
As the name suggests, the systems plan is designed to cover all critical systems within your home, such as:
- Heating and air conditioning systems
- Gas and electrical systems
- Interior plumbing
- Water heaters
- Plumbing lines
- Plumbing stoppages
- Sump pump
- Whirlpool bath
- Central vacuum
- All doorbells and chimes
- Garage door opener
- Smoke detectors
- Interior electrical lines
- Interior gas lines
- Attic or whole house exhaust fan
The combo plan allows you to pick and choose the elements of the systems and appliances plans, to create the perfect combination for your needs and requirements.
It also comes with additional benefits, including:
- Homeowners insurance discounts
- Unknown pre-existing condition coverage
- No inspections required before taking out the policy
- Coverage for rust and corrosion
- No annual aggregate caps
- Coverage for your pool or spa
As with any policy, there are certain exceptions and exclusion which cannot be claimed.
Unlike some of their competitors, TotalProtect will cover a pre-existing condition which you were previously unaware of.
That means you will not be abandoned without support if one of your systems or appliances suddenly develops a fault.
There is typically a price cap of around $1,000 per item, which may leave some homeowners out of pocket if you have invested in a particularly pricey product.
Should You Get a TotalProtect Home Warranty?
- Work guarantee: 180-day guarantee on all work, repairs, and replacements, which usually far exceeds the warranty you may get from sourcing an independent technician or service
- Customer service: 27/7 access to customer support, allowing you to make a claim at a time which is most convenient to you and your schedule
- Flexible payments: Monthly repayments make this an affordable option, and it can work out as being better value than sourcing your own contractors and replacements, particularly if you are required to replace more than one item.
- Easy booking: TotalProtect will provide the technician, saving you time and effort
- Versatile plans: A range of plans, including the option to create your own providing flexibility and ensures that you are not paying for anything you don’t want or need
- Limited selection: You are restricted to using the technicians and contractors supplied by TotalProtect. There is no option to choose your own supplier, even if you have a preference
- Vague exclusions: TotalProtect is not clear on the exclusions from the policy. It is essential to be fully aware of any exceptions before agreeing to sign up
- Low maximum: Price cap of around $1,000 per product for a repair or replacement, which could leave homeowners with more expensive items out of pocket
A home warranty plan is an ideal way for busy and time-poor homeowners to ensure that every aspect of their home, systems, and appliances are fully covered.
It offers an affordable way to repair and replace any aspects which begin to malfunction and has the bonus of coming with a team of qualified technicians who can diagnose and address the problem in no time.
The option of low monthly repayments is also an appealing alternative to the cost of a new air conditioning system or refrigerator.
As with any policy or warranty, it is crucial to read the small print and be confident that you have all of the facts and information you need to make an informed decision. It is particularly important to consider the exclusions to the policy.
Make sure that this information is available to you at the start of the process to reduce the risk of any unpleasant surprises when you come to make a claim.
If you are looking for a convenient solution to take care of your appliances and home systems, a home protection warranty could be precisely what you need.